top of page
Pane e pinzimonio

DOS Sicilia Oil Supply Chain 


Consortium for the Protection of Val di Mazara Extra Virgin Olive Oil

The Protected Designation of Origin is a quality mark that the European Union issues only to those oils obtained from olives grown in a specific territory.
In our case, the Consortium works to guarantee and certify that the collection, extraction and packaging phases take place within the entire province of Palermo and in the following municipalities in the province of Agrigento: Alessandria della Rocca, Bivona, Burgio, Calamonaci, Caltabellotta , Cattolica Eraclea, Cianciana, Lucca Sicula, Menfi, Montallegro, Montevago, Ribera, Sambuca di Sicilia, Santa Margherita del Belice, Sciacca, Villafranca Sicula.
The effective supervisory and enhancement action carried out to date is demonstrated by the large number of companies that, since the Consortium was founded in 2002, have joined the common project to bring our oil to the top. A product made unique and inimitable by natural factors but above all by human factors, that is the cultivation techniques and the collection and packaging systems. Eyes wide open on the quality requirements and on a set of precise rules that anyone who is part of the Consortium, from the producer to the oil mill up to the packer, must respect.
In this way the consumer will immediately recognize the DOP “Val di Mazara” brand, synonymous with genuineness.
These are the three indigenous cultivars that contribute, alone or jointly for at least 90%, to distinguish, in taste and quality, the Extra Virgin Olive Oil DOP "Val di Mazara".
The Biancolilla variety, light with floral and vegetal scents, takes its name from the colors that characterize its maturation. The delicate relationship between bitter and spicy characterizes, however, the Nocellara del Belice, with notes of green tomato and aromatic herbs. Rich in pulp the olives of the Cerasuola variety characterized by hints of red tomato, thyme, oregano and rosemary.
The uniqueness of our oil lies precisely in its fruity and intense taste and in its golden yellow color with shades of intense green.

Consortium for the Protection of Val di Mazara DOP Etravergine Olive Oil

Via Luigi Manfredi, 37 - Palermo (PA)
Tel: +39 091 954785

Logo DOP.png
Pane casereccio

Product data sheet 

Complete product sheet available on the official website ofQualivita Foundation


Val di Mazara DOP extra virgin olive oil is obtained from the fruits of the Biancolilla, Nocellara del Belice and Cerasuola varieties, present in the olive groves alone or jointly for at least 90%. Other varieties such as Ogliarola Messinese, Giarraffa and Santagatese can compete, not exceeding the remaining 10%.


The production and processing area of Val di Mazara DOP extra virgin olive oil includes the entire territory of the province of Palermo and numerous municipalities in the province of Agrigento, in the Sicily region.


The olive harvest must be carried out from the beginning of ripening and up to December 30 of each year, by mechanical means or by stripping. The olives must be stored in rigid and ventilated containers and, until milling, must be stored in rooms with humidity between 50 and 60% and at a temperature not exceeding 15 ° C. The milling operations must take place within two days of harvesting.


Val di Mazara PDO extra virgin olive oil has a golden yellow color with intense green hues. The smell is fruity with a possible hint of almond, while the flavor is fruity and velvety, with a sweet aftertaste.


Extra virgin olive oil is an easily perishable food that requires proper conservation to keep its organoleptic characteristics intact. It is therefore advisable to keep it in a cool and protected from light, at a temperature between 14 and 18 ° C, away from heat sources and products that give off particular odors. It is also advisable to consume it within 4-6 months of pressing, to enjoy it in the period of maximum expression of its flavor. Val di Mazara DOP extra virgin olive oil has an intensely aromatic taste suitable for enhancing savory dishes such as legume soups, and dishes with a strong taste, such as grilled fish. It also goes well with “wild” salads and boiled vegetables.


Val di Mazara PDO extra virgin olive oil is characterized by a maximum total acidity level of 0.5 g per 100 g of oil and a panel test score greater than or equal to 6.5.

bottom of page